亚洲的节奏蓝调音乐王,如何看待他的事业?又如何诠释成功?
注:中央人民广播电台二套 11月11日至13日 每天21:30空中英语教室 播放这篇文章
        北京FM96.6  上海FM91.4  广州FM106.6

正文:
David Tao
          ◆ By Andrea Brodersen and Michael Ridgeway
              Graphics By Rebecca Chao

This Asian pop star makes music that matters

Pop star David Tao has been labeled "Asia's king of R&B," and rightly so. He's the man who brought R&B to the Mandarin music scene.

Nowadays, "King David" rules the Mandarin scene with his smooth voice and matchless songwriting talent. Praised for his fresh musical style, this singer has gained a faithful following throughout Asia. Fans just can't get enough of him.

David was born in Hong Kong on July 11, 1969, but spent most of his childhood in Taiwan and the United States.

David, an only child, grew up in a musically talented family. His mother was a successful Chinese opera star. But it was his father who instilled a love of music in him. Chinese and Western songs often filled their home, with his father singing along. David soon joined in.

Still, David never dreamed of becoming a famous musician. As with most young people, his dreams changed with the passing fancies of childhood. At one point, he even considered becoming a lawyer.

David's work experience has also been as varied and random as his childhood dreams. He worked many different jobs while living in the U.S. - from shoe salesman to police officer.

In college, David majored in psychology and filmmaking. He planned on pursuing a career as a movie director. His life, however, took a decidedly unexpected detour.

In 1993, a Taiwanese music producer walked into an instrument store in the U.S. where David was working. He soon discovered that David spoke Mandarin and had a good understanding of music.

He encouraged David to pursue a career in Mandarin pop. Shortly afterward, David moved back to Taiwan and began working as a songwriter for various pop singers. He quickly became known for his distinctive R&B style. Many famous pop stars began seeking him out to help write their albums.

Finally, in 1997, David jumped our from behind the scenes and into the spotlight. That year, he released his debut self-titled album. He also won a Golden Melody Award for Best Newcomer.

David strives to create music that brings people hope. He also uses his music to share his Christian faith. He says, "I don't debate my faith with others, and I don't force others to believe in God, but I will share with you all the blessings God has given me."

David prays for inspiration to make music that touches hearts. He wrote the song "Dear God" after the September 11 tragedy. "I just sat there with a guitar one day ... and then this melody came out from nowhere," he says. "I knew it was something sent from above."

How does David measure success? Certainly not by the number of albums he's sold. For David, success is when a fan says to him, "Your music cheered me up and helped me in my darkest hour."

Unlike many pop stars, David cares little about his image. For him, music is about presenting a message, not an image.

"I don't really know how people perceive me, and honestly, that's something I really don't think about," he says. "I just try to do what I do well and work hard at it."

其他相关内容请去DAVID的专区~
[em12][em12][em12][em12][em12][em12]
在线学习:http://www.goodtv.com.tw/programs/SC/

[此贴子已经被作者于2004-10-23 19:50:53编辑过]

on my way to see my friends who lived a couple blocks away from me as i walked through the subway

2 F  发表于 2004-10-25 19:56 | 只看该作者
翻译: 流行歌手陶喆一直被视为亚洲的R&B天王,名符其实!他是把R&B音乐引入华语乐坛的人. 如今,"天王DAVID"用他平和的富有磁性的声音和天才的创作才能,征服了华语乐坛.他用清新的音乐在亚洲各地获得了很多忠实的追寻者.他们对他的音乐百听不厌! 陶喆1969年7月11日出生在香港,但他的童年大部分都是在台湾和美国度过的. 陶喆成长在一个音乐世家,也是家中的独生子.他的母亲是一名著名的京剧演员.不过将对音乐的爱好灌输给他的不是他的母亲,而是他的父亲.他的家中总是充满了中国和西方的音乐,在父亲的影响下,很快陶喆也加入到了其中. 尽管如此,陶喆从没有梦想过成为一名音乐人.和大多的年轻人一样,他的梦想也是随着童年的短站爱好而改变着.有时候他想梦想着成为一名律师. 陶喆的工作经历也和童年的梦想一样多变.在美国的时候,他做过很多的工作,从鞋点的售货员到警察,他都做过~ 陶喆在大学时主修心理学和电影.他计划着将来成为一名电影制作者.然而,他的命运与现实截然不同. 1993年,一位台湾的音乐制作人来到了美国的一家乐行,陶喆正好在那里工作.他不久便发现了陶喆会说国语,而且在音乐上有一定的天赋. 他开始鼓励陶喆往国语音乐上发展.不久以后,DAVID搬回了台湾,开始为许多流行音乐的歌手创作音乐.很快的就以独特的R&B音乐打出了名声.许多著名的乐坛明星都来找陶喆为他们制作唱片. 终于在1997年,DAVID从幕后走进了台前.那一年他发行了自己的首张个人同名唱片,也获得的金曲奖的最佳新人奖. 陶喆一直都致力于创作能带给人希望的音乐.他也用音乐来分享他对基督教教的信仰.他说:"我不和别人争论我的信仰,我也从不勉强别人去信仰上帝,但是我愿意和大家分享上帝赐给我的祝福." 陶喆向上帝祈求灵感来创作可以打动人们的音乐.在"9.11"以后,他写下了 .他说:"有一天我只是拿着吉他座在那里. 然后这个曲调就不由自主的从心里冒出来.我知道这是上帝给我的," DAVID如何衡量自己的成功?当然不是从唱片的销售量来定了.对DAVID来说,成功是想一位歌迷对他说的:"在我处于人生最低潮的时候,鼓励我,帮助我." 和许多的流行歌手不同的是,他不太注重自己的象形.对他来说,音乐传达的是一个消息,而不是自己的形象. 他说:"我不太注重别人是怎么看我的,但说真的,我确实不太关心这些.我只是在做自己很擅长做的事,而且努力的做好它." Translation by wayne 注名:这是我第一次翻译文章,有的地方可能翻译的不太好,因为我本人的英语也不好.有的生词也是查了字典才知道的,希望大家不要笑我~~~~~

[此贴子已经被作者于2004-10-25 20:45:24编辑过]

on my way to see my friends who lived a couple blocks away from me as i walked through the subway

返回列表